Wednesday, February 18, 2009

When did I become a parent?

When our babies are new and little, we all have that overwhelming sense of fear and responsibility. The first night we were home from the hospital with Hailey, I bawled. I looked at her precious face and new I loved her so much more than I ever thought possible and cried because I didn't know what to do with her. You may just say that was a little postpardum depression going on, but how many of us are confident in our parenting? I was struck with "holy crap, I am a parent and now I am responsible for the upbringing of this child." So those first few months are hectic and they start to even out. You grow into a routine you both are satisfied with. You need them as much as they need you. Then they start growing and you aren't as afraid as you were, but still afraid. Then all of a sudden they are walking and talking and they make you smile and laugh. The next thing you know you are walking them to preschool and you are more nervous than they are. Those are all truly great parent moments and you love it. Let me tell you when it dawned on me that I am a REAL parent. The other day we went to register Hailey for the Big K-yes Kindergarten. WAAAAH, cry, sniff, wail. Only here is the REAL parent part. As we walked into the school, there was a sign that notified me that I was to bring shot records, birth certificate, and social security card. Did I think of any of those things? Of course not, because before that moment, I didn't think of myself as a REAL parent!! Of course I knew I was a parent and sometimes a pretty good one! But that is the moment I realized it. I am now responsible for homework and school projects and any other thing that will come with the next 13 years. YIKES I don't know if I have that responsible bone in my body, but I guess I will have to start searching for it!! HAHAHA! Does any of that make sense to anyone?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha ha - I am the same way, although I don't think it has quite hit me yet. I was at the Dr. with Landon the other day & he kept opening & closing the cabinets under the sink. I didn't think anything of it - he's my cute boy that gets to do what he wants. Well the Dr. got mad & said "Can we stop that now"? And I thought, oh my ... it's up to me to discipline this child, even though he's so little still ... I guess I should be a responsible parent & do something about this. But I am actually still in the phase where I can't get over how much I love him. But he is growing fast! I better figure things out soon. Does that make sense? Ha ha.

The Olsons said...

Wendy- You're crazy!

hahaha, okay you're just funny. All that homework, and school projects are worth the trade of someone taking your child for several hours a day and teaching them and working with them.

BTW - You're officially old now.

Maren said...

You're old. Too bad for you.
:)
Circle of Life here we go.

Amber Lee said...

I totally know what you mean about feeling a little scared about being a parent. But I couldn't finish reading your post because the purple against the red was too hard for my old eyes to read! You need to change your font color!

Anonymous said...

I get to register Aidan for kindergarten next week and I keep wondering where the time has gone. They grow up so fast and lately he has been asking some pretty complicated questions that I am not sure I am ready to answer...and I am thinking this parenting thing is getting harder, but it's so worth it :)

Talbot Family said...

O.K. so when I originally read the title to your post I thought it said "When did I become Pregnant" I was thinking, ummmm, is this for us to answer? I am pretty sure I know how. Now being a parent, that's a different story. XOXO